Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Mushrooms, Chocolates - Same Diff!

Last week, my employer sent me to a one-day conference with a coworker. It was great to get out of the office for a change and have some self-enrichment time.

During our lunch hour, she and I were joined by two other women, each from different companies. We made some pleasant small talk while picking through the offerings on the [rather pitiful] buffet.

When our check was delivered, my coworker asked the other women if they were being reimbursed by their respective companies for the meal. I commented, "Well, since we're eating on their dime, we should order the truffles!"

To which one of the other women at the table, a good 20 years older than me, replied, "Oh - I hadn't even thought about dessert."

I suppose I just have a totally different frame of reference than most people.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

i was in paris last night and had jambon de Serrano with truffle oil. Fabulous.

I always found it strange that rich chocolate balls stole the name truffles from those amazing "rich-man's mushrooms".

Anonymous said...

Lol! I wonder if she'd like préservatifs with her toast too. Got here by chance b/c we both seem to like Hugo. And as a former French teacher, I decided I simply must leave a comment. Enjoyed my visit.

BeckEye said...

I had a discussion not too long ago with someone about this very same thing. I never knew that truffles were mushrooms. Thought they were chocolate. But I did know about pigs sniffing them out, which should've clued me in since obviously chocolate doesn't grow out of the ground. Too bad. I'd have a big ol' Hershey kiss tree in my front yard. (If I had a front yard.)