Thursday, October 06, 2005

Stuff This!

I have a cold.

It's not a bad cold, but just enough to give me a stuffy nose.

Do you know the first thing most people say to me when they find out I've got a stuffy nose? They say, "Your nose is stuffed? That must make it a lot easier to speak French!"

Do you remember how Peter, the disgruntled main character in Office Space felt when someone said, "Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays!"? That's how it makes me feel to hear people ask about how my stuffy nose improves my speaking abilities. It actually makes it much, much harder, seeing as four vowels and two rather important consonants in French are made using the nose as the sole point of egress for the air. I understand that most people who say this to me are trying to be funny or trying to incite me into a rant. They think it's funny to imply that French people are stuffy snobs, so that if a Frenchman has a stuffy nose, he can actually speak better than normal.

I blow my nose in your general direction.

5 comments:

Neo said...

Mel - LOL

Neo hands you a tissue.

Thanks for the comment on JBI.

The French are funny. I once almost got into a fight with one of them for asking the time in montreal.

The guy got all stuck up.

It's all shite!

Lauren said...

Melanie, I was going to suggest that we team together to create our own little world where we defend all things French, but I forgot that Canada already exists.

Mme.G said...

Bonne idee, Laurenchou!

There should be a place somewhere where francophiles can roam freely, away from all the ignorant bigoted Republicans who defile French words on a regular basis.

Canada might not be a good place, since last time I tried watching a French-Canadian movie, I felt dumb as brick. I can't understand those people! It's as if they've got marbles in their mouths. I appreciate their separatist sentiment...I just can't communicate with them.

Maybe we should immigrate to Miquelon? It's all the flavor, none of the fat, if you know what I mean. :-D

Lauren said...

Laurenchou, j'adore! Yes, St Pierre et Miquelon, I'm all about it. But perhaps we should also have a home for the winter ( say near Casis) as my beau has just warned me it's freezing.

BeckEye said...

Sometimes when I get a cold I can sing like Stevie Nicks, but it's rare.