Friday, August 26, 2005

Tacky? That's Ta-KAY, To You!


In the course of searching for a photo for my last post, I came across one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. This unity candle, seen above, needs to go in my "tacky wedding hall-of-fame", a running list I've kept for myself since I started wedding planning last year. Let's get a closer look at it, shall we?


Yes, that's Pepe Le Pew with Penelope trying to pry herself off of him. It doesn't seem very fitting for a "unity" candle, now, does it?

This isn't the only tacky thing I've found for a French-themed wedding. Since I'm having one myself, I've been paying attention to lots of examples of how not to do it. For instance, take the cake. I will be having a croquembouche, the traditional French wedding pastry. It isn't a cake, but rather an enormous tower of creampuffs. My family doesn't really know what to make of this, and so we are having a traditional wedding cake in addition to my croquembouche. But the traditional cake will not have a tacky cake topper on it:


But wait, that's not all--it even lights up!


Some people are convinced that the French actually do a "wedding cake" and are determined to duplicate that in their own way. Here is one extremely misguided attempt:


Is it just me, or does the groom look like he's about to jump?


Here are some more ugly/scary Paris cakes:


Looks like Fragonard and Monet simultaneously threw up on what would otherwise be a perfectly delicious cake.


Very elegant from the middle-down, but that Eiffel Tower looks pretty unstable to me. Sort of like a 4th-grader was experimenting with some of those waffle sandwich cookies.


Pretty cool-looking, but that monstrously oversized Chanel bottle just scares me.

4 comments:

Sangroncito said...

Ew la la! (isn't that a tacky way of sounding fake French!). These are hilarious! It reminds of my French teacher in college (the one sememster I took)....Her name was Madame Brown (from Paris but married to an American, hence the name). She shook her head slowly as she told us the story of an American woman whom she met in the park while watching her child at the playground. The American woman told her that she had named her daughter "LaRue" because it sounded so French! Mrs. Brown just couldn't imagine how she could have named her child "the street".

Neil said...

As tacky as the first cake is, I also find it sort of cute. I would go for it!

BeckEye said...

How do you say "eegads" in French??

I guess as close as I can come would be "zut alors".

Lauren said...

my cousin and new cousin-in-law (who are french) got married with a giant white wedding cake that had a dove fly out of it. It was horrendous. But just to let you know that some french do have "proper" wedding cakes.