Friday, August 26, 2005

Tacky? That's Ta-KAY, To You!


In the course of searching for a photo for my last post, I came across one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. This unity candle, seen above, needs to go in my "tacky wedding hall-of-fame", a running list I've kept for myself since I started wedding planning last year. Let's get a closer look at it, shall we?


Yes, that's Pepe Le Pew with Penelope trying to pry herself off of him. It doesn't seem very fitting for a "unity" candle, now, does it?

This isn't the only tacky thing I've found for a French-themed wedding. Since I'm having one myself, I've been paying attention to lots of examples of how not to do it. For instance, take the cake. I will be having a croquembouche, the traditional French wedding pastry. It isn't a cake, but rather an enormous tower of creampuffs. My family doesn't really know what to make of this, and so we are having a traditional wedding cake in addition to my croquembouche. But the traditional cake will not have a tacky cake topper on it:


But wait, that's not all--it even lights up!


Some people are convinced that the French actually do a "wedding cake" and are determined to duplicate that in their own way. Here is one extremely misguided attempt:


Is it just me, or does the groom look like he's about to jump?


Here are some more ugly/scary Paris cakes:


Looks like Fragonard and Monet simultaneously threw up on what would otherwise be a perfectly delicious cake.


Very elegant from the middle-down, but that Eiffel Tower looks pretty unstable to me. Sort of like a 4th-grader was experimenting with some of those waffle sandwich cookies.


Pretty cool-looking, but that monstrously oversized Chanel bottle just scares me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As tacky as the first cake is, I also find it sort of cute. I would go for it!

BeckEye said...

How do you say "eegads" in French??

I guess as close as I can come would be "zut alors".

Lauren said...

my cousin and new cousin-in-law (who are french) got married with a giant white wedding cake that had a dove fly out of it. It was horrendous. But just to let you know that some french do have "proper" wedding cakes.